Friday, December 15, 2023

“So You Want to be a Wizard” by Diane Duane

You might remember that I wrote about this book not toolong ago on this blog. I ended up coming back to it because A. I finished Rick Riordan’s books and wanted to reread these next and B. I noticed that Duane put all of the Young Wizards ebooks on sale in her online store. Of course I bought them, and here we are.

It’s put me in an interesting position, because I went back and reread that post and I still do agree with it. Those are the points that I would highlight and that’s my basic thoughts on the book.

However, one thing is new though. This is the New Millennium edition of the books that Duane went and updated in the late 2010s. And that process right there is fascinating to me! You have all of these authors who write something and then just leave it, and there are defenders of the works saying that we need to excuse their mistakes because of the time they were written in. Or whatever. Not Duane though, she goes back and fixes her mistakes.

In this first book, there are a few notable things that got changed. In the original series, Kit is a year younger than Nita. In the new edition, they’re the same age. I’m not sure why that was altered, I have to imagine there’s a reason, so I think it’s of note. Possibly this has to do with the overall vibe I am getting of their relationship being more romantic. Or it’s because I am now reading this knowing that they eventually become a couple and my aroace ass picked up on none of this when I was a kid. Who can say.

Other change is actually mentioned in my previous post as well. In the original edition, the Twin Towers are mentioned (putting it pre-9/11). In this version, Nita and Kit see the Freedom Tower being built. Which is interesting because it also dates the work, again approximately the late 2010s. I find that so interesting, it’s the same site and it’s over 30 years difference between the editions. But it can still be used for the same purpose!

I’m excited to go through and read all of her works in one big swoop. These books are honestly written so well that I really enjoy and want to read all of the time again. I haven’t felt like that in years!

No comments:

Post a Comment