Friday, April 19, 2024

“The Young Wizards OTP Challenge, Days 1-17” by Diane Duane

This is part of the wizardry bundle that I got a while ago and have been making my way through. I realized that Games Wizards Play was not in the bundle and then didn’t know which to pick up next. So I went for this, figured it was short fiction and it wouldn’t take me too long to get through. 

The basic idea is that there’s a series of prompts to help writers think up scenarios, and these all have to do with a person’s One True Pairing (OTP), a couple that the writer really loves. Duane takes this and writes it about Nita and Kit. And I think that the original prompts go up to day 30, this stops at day 17.

Honestly I really like reading this. They’re short and fun, and Duane clearly tried to think of the prompts in a creative way. So the one abut wearing each other’s clothes has to do with them accidentally offending some aliens, wearing cat ears involves them turning into cats temporarily, and so on.

Duane also inserts herself in, so if you were doubting whether or not she is having fun, you can be sure that she is now. She’s in at the beginning, saying that this may or may not be canon and chatting with Nita and Kit about the challenge. The middle, she gets ice cream with them and check in. And for the last prompt it’s a silly time of her trying to think of different scenarios Nita and Kit would be spooning in without making it unnatural. Which is one of my favorites, Duane interacts with the Transcendental Pig and talks through a few.

Yeah so this I think is also up on her blog, but seeing it all together is quite nice. A fun, light read!

No comments:

Post a Comment