This is a collection of short stories based on fantasy or folk tales. Some are really short, only a page, while others are much longer. There’s one based on Beauty and the Beast, a Puss in Boots, and Red Riding Hood among others.
I have a soft spot for retellings of familiar tales that get more of a modern twist, especially those written by women, so I did largely enjoy this work. Most of the protagonists are female, and a lot of them manage to get happy endings! Especially in “The Bloody Chamber,” the main character is about to be beheaded by her serial killing husband when her mother comes for her and shoots him in the head. It’s very satisfying.
I will also say though that there’s a bit too much… sex? For my tastes. It’s fine for the stories where it makes sense, and it’s really funny in Puss in Boots, but almost every story has a girl taking off her clothes at some point. Which like, I get it for a few stories and there’s a bunch that deal with the human/animal divide so that’s all good. But then the Little Red Riding Hood one mentions the wolf’s huge junk multiple times and she gets naked at the end and it just feels like we used this up previously.
So this was fun, it’s a quick read, but it gets a little
repetitive. I still had a great time though, which is all I want from a book
like this.
No comments:
Post a Comment