Wednesday, July 29, 2026

This Is Beautiful: The Odyssey

 Not a hot take by any means, but Christopher Nolan's film "The Odyssey" is extremely well done. I went to see it earlier this week with a friend and it really did not feel like its runtime. A major standout for me was the music, whoever composed that score had an impeccable sense and control of the tension. The music was really a part of the whole experience instead of something laid on top of it. The best example I have is that Odysseus's bow string is a chord and part of the music whenever he is fighting or hunting and that is used to really great effect. 

The film can feel a little preachy at times with all the talk of Zeus' law (treat strangers with kindness) and how it has been broken. But I think it works for a modern audience, it both makes it feel rather timely and humanizes the characters. Odysseus knows that he messed up during the war and is able to talk about that to Penelope towards the end.

The performances were amazing and the visuals were fantastic. I'm so glad I managed to catch this film in theaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment