Saturday, October 24, 2015

Posting Pictures on Facebook is Really Annoying

I’ve never exactly been the kind of person that posts excessively on Facebook. I really only ever post when I want to do the yearly update of my profile picture to keep up appearances, or when I’m in a show and have to do the obligatory “come see me!” post. Other than that the internet gets nothing from me.

But now that I’m abroad I feel obliged to post some pictures of my adventures, if only so that my mom gets off my back about whether I’m making the most of this trip or not. And I’m finding it really annoying. It’s not so much the posting of the pictures, that I don’t care about, it’s the choosing which pictures to post that’s starting to get to me. I’m finding myself going through photos that were all lovingly taken, and only selecting ones that I think will get likes. Or going through and not putting up any pictures with me in it, since I don’t want to seem too narcissistic. Or going through and thinking “is this important enough to put up on Facebook?” and then discarding all of the ones not of famous monuments.

I guess we’ve hit that point where everything is now under inspection from other people, even our own memories. Because honestly, if I’m not sticking it on Facebook, I’m not going to show the photos to anyone else. Which is sad, because that means that I’m only showing what I think that other people will like instead of what I like about my trip.

Not that it’s that much different from other aspects of life. I’m probably not going to tell that many people about aspects of my trip that I don’t think they’ll enjoy, but it’s still strange to see that manifest in yet another part of our lives. Because you always think that the parts of your life that you like would take priority over what other people like about your trip, and here’s the proof that it’s really the other way around.


Anyways, that’s my rant about the awkwardness of Facebook over with. I guess this just proves that I should be posting on Facebook less often and need to return to my original game plan. Just once I stick this last batch up so that Mom knows I made it to London…

No comments:

Post a Comment