Saturday, September 24, 2016

"The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky

So I haven’t read Russian literature since high school… I mostly picked up this book because it was huge and stood out to me. Wheee…

In case you did not pick up on this from the title, the story follows the 3 brothers Karamazov. Dimitri is the oldest, Ivan, and finally Alyosha is the youngest. Dimitri is motivated by worldly things like money and the women that he loves. Ivan is more philosophical but detached, he thinks a lot but doesn’t really implement. Ivan ends up rejecting God because of all this useless suffering in the world (but an interesting note is that he could only come to this conclusion because he loves people). There is a lot of inner turmoil with him. One of my favorite scenes was him conversing with the devil, it shows his psyche and how he knows that it is degrading but avoids it. I don’t know, that was just a fascinating scene since I had no idea what was happening most of the time. Then there’s Alyosha, who was a monk, and is motivated by his love for his brothers and the people around him. He largely reacts to events around him in a way that is influenced by his time spent as a monk.

You can probably see where this is going. But the resulting saga combines a courtroom mystery with an intense drama with musings about life, among other things. It encompasses many topics, and while it centers around Russia and Russian life, it by no means is exclusive to it.

The ending is ambiguous with regards to the fates of Ivan and Dimitri. But it seems optimistic that they both will be redeemed somehow. The book comes out strong for religious force and love in spite of skepticism and the hate that is rampant among us. One must continue to believe in spite of these things, otherwise your faith has no meaning.

I enjoyed reading this more than I thought I would. The characters are original and vivid, with distinct and endearing personalities. Even the minor characters stand out clearly. And while there are some parts that require you to think, you find yourself wanting to do it so that you understand the scenes better.


I’m not usually into classics, but this one turned out to be an enjoyable read, if heavy at times. I don’t know, maybe I secretly am into intense Russion novels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment