Saturday, December 10, 2016

It’s Time to Love

This is going to be a bit of a strange post, but I’d like to talk about this anyways.

So I’ve been having odd dreams lately, a sure sign that I am stressed. (This is related to this article, check it out if you have time. http://garnetnews.com/2016/11/28/the-age-of-anxiety/) These dreams range from a really melodramatic rendition of an everyday event to the end of the world, but either way the stakes have been high when I close my eyes lately. So I was really glad when I found that article and realized that I’m not the only one!

But we are reaching a new age of anxiety so to speak in more ways than one. Sure we’re all freaked out about the future, but also mental health in general is coming to the forefront. More and more adolescents are being diagnosed with disorders all the time, which could be due to more awareness of these issues or teens being put in more stressful situations, it’s hard to tell. Either way, as a society mental health is becoming more prominent. Unfortunately though, mental health is still highly stigmatized. People suffering from it feel alienated and alone, and the lack of understanding out there isn’t helping anything.

Put the two together (stressful situation and mental health), and we are in for a really rough time. I know people who have had really terrible times with their brain recently, and it doesn’t look like it is going to get any better anytime soon.

I’m going to propose that to counter the age of anxiety upon us, we try to usher in an age of love. Love to look after each other. Love to counter all of the hate we see. Love so we can take all of this energy and indignation and put it to positive use. We can’t lose sight of what is important here, or we are just as bad as the people currently giving us anxiety.


So look out for each other, and take care of yourselves. Now more than ever, we need a little love.

No comments:

Post a Comment