Saturday, January 14, 2017

"Midnight in Europe" by Alan Furst

I found this book in a kind of strange way. It was recommended to me by a lady in a cowboy hat giving a presentation on how capitalism is going to become more environmentally friendly in the future. Essentially she said that if you are looking at the state of the world right now and are angry about it, you should check out this book.

I’m really not sure what I was supposed to take away from this. It’s a really very average spy novel about WWII and all that jazz. It’s kind of aggressively average, I wish that the main character was a little less sex-obsessed and that it focused more on what they were doing rather than his exploits with women. And it doesn’t really say what is going on with the war or anything, it follows them on like two missions. I guess it does create a good sense of the fear and paranoia of the age, but not much more than that as the main character seems fine at most points.

So there’s that. I don’t know, I think there are other books that I would recommend more, like The Monuments Men if you are overwhelmed by the current state of things and want to change it.


No comments:

Post a Comment