Friday, December 22, 2017

Living in Bethesda

So it’s been over six months since I moved to Bethesda, MD after graduation. I think I’m qualified now to give my thoughts on what it’s like to live here.

First of all, the Washington DC metro area is not nearly as political as you would think. I thought that there would be tons of politicians and their crews everywhere, but that’s really not the case. There’s also a very vibrant arts scene, and because of the NIH there’s also a lot of scientists trying to stay out of politics and just get their work done.

In particular, all of the arts have me really impressed. Tons of bands come through here on tour, and there is a surplus of jazz clubs in the U St area and in downtown Bethesda as well. It makes it easier for a liberal arts college grad to find a creative outlet!

In general though, the area is very walkable (North Bethesda less so) especially in downtown DC. The metro is probably better than NYC’s, and cleaner as well. (It’d just be nice if it stopped catching on fire and ran later at night…) There is also certainly more breathing room and personal space than NYC or other packed cities.


To sum up: I’ve really liked living here! It’s beautiful here, and there’s always plenty going on. Come visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment