Saturday, August 18, 2018

“Wishful Drinking” by Carrie Fisher


Despite the fact that Carrie Fisher is my princess/general/ruler, I have never actually read anything that she’s written. Mostly because I feel like it would have just made me sad that she deserved so much more from life than what she got.

Having said that, this book is full of sad happenings, but also humor and hilarity. It takes a certain type of person to live a life like hers and still find everything funny. It was also based on her “Wishful Drinking” show, a kind of standup that Fisher performed. So it ends up being very entertaining to read.

It is also very important to understand mental illness and the stigma that goes along with it. Celebrities like Fisher talking candidly about being bipolar and having addiction problems definitely helps, that way it is less of a taboo secret and more just another aspect of someone’s life. I can’t believe how long it has been since this was written, and yet there is still such a pervasive stigma about mental health.

Carrie Fisher, you were my queen and I’m so sorry about what you went through. But if it results in great works like this book, then I guess I won’t be too sad about it. I’m going to watch “Star Wars” and cry now.

No comments:

Post a Comment