Wednesday, April 12, 2023

This Is Beautiful: Solidarity

 My graduate student union has been on strike for over a week now. The strike has been in response to contract negotiations and the university refusing to even have a conversation with us, or make a counter-offer, literally they've been wasting the union's time since the fall. This past week I took on a number of picket shifts, and this week I decided to upgrade myself to a picket captain! I was on strike once before in 2020, and both times it's been just such an outpouring of solidarity and care. It's really rare that graduate students feel connected, we are so separated from each other and in different fields and buildings. But the strike brings us all together. And so many community members and others in the university as so supportive! Anyways, I hope that the strike ends and we get our contract, but in the meantime I'm having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment