Saturday, October 28, 2023

“Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass and Sorcery” by Kurtis Wiebe

This is a graphic novel that was recommended to me literally years ago by a friend, and I finally found it at the local public library. It’s pretty short, I was able to finish it in a day or so.

The Rat Queens are a gang of warrior ladies in a medieval town who love booze, drugs, candy, and killing people. It’s a pretty diverse group, one is a mage that uses goddess magic, another is a sword fighter, another is a healer, and the final member is a hobbit-like creature who steals things. The main plot is that someone is trying to kill them and they mostly fight stuff off and try to survive. They figure out by the end that it’s Bernadette, a woman in the town who hates them.

My main critique is that I didn’t have a great handle on the plot. I couldn’t keep track of names at all and there were so many fights and injuries that I didn’t know how got injured or if there were any consequences to that. I bet if I kept reading it would get more interesting, with more clues and intrigue. As a first installment though… It’s not doing much for me. Most of it is either fights or parties. That’s really it.

Anyways, I likely won’t check out volume 2, but if I happen upon it, I would give it a chance. I think graphic novels take a bit more time to suck me into the story, but I do tend to like them once I get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment