Saturday, July 27, 2024

“Uptown Local and Other Interventions” by Diane Duane

This is my last installment in my read through of Duane’s ebooks. This is a little different in that it is a collection of short stories and they do not all take place in the Young Wizards series. Duane also gives a short preamble to most of the stories which I think adds a lot, because you get to see parts of her thought process, such as how one story grew and expanded into another.

Of course my favorites were the ones from the Young Wizard universe though. There’s a great one about chocolate that involves an entirely separate group of wizards from the main series. I thought it was a lot of fun that it was still on Earth and yet with a different cast that’s just as colorful.

And then of course there’s the story “Uptown Local” itself. This one centers on Nita and Kit who are bored out of their minds and go to annoy Tom and Carl. They get sent on a magical subway journey where they head to alternate versions of New York and see what they can find. Only stipulation is that they hand off the Subway tokens to someone else once done. They end up bringing someone else to their world, and slowly making it better.

It's not a collection that I would be likely to pick up separately, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to do so this time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment