Saturday, October 18, 2014

How to Cope With Rejection (When Everyone Else Isn’t)

So there’s this thing that tends to happen to me. I audition for something, and all my friends end up getting it and I don’t. I wish I could say that this hasn’t happened multiple times throughout the years. As a result, I think I may have some insights as to how to deal with this.

So here are my tips:

1.       Try not to care about this thing. I know it’s hard, and maybe you really wanted to, but in ten years, who is going to care? Pretty much no one. Try to see it from that perspective.

2.       Be realistic about your efforts. Maybe you didn’t do as well as you thought.

3.       This’ll all be over soon and no one will care.

4.       Maybe don’t hang out with your friends that got in for a bit. Don’t shun them, but if given the choice between sitting with them and sitting with someone uninvolved, go for the latter.

5.       It’ll be fine. What you didn’t get into doesn’t matter.

6.       Have some me time. Sit down and give yourself a few minutes to cope (or longer if you need it) and then busy yourself with something else so you don’t dwell on it.

7.       Really what does this all matter? We’re all just going to die of heat death anyway.

8.       Be happy for your friends who made it. They worked hard for this as well. Even though it’s hard, be nice to them.

9.       This isn’t an actual measure of your worth, it’s a measure against some rando’s standards, which literally is entirely subjective and has zero bearing on anything else you ever do.

10.   Find someone else that didn’t get in and start a club.

11.   Look at pictures of cute puppies online.

12.   HUGS

13.   You will be ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment