Sunday, December 14, 2014

Two Years Ago...

So we all remember the Sandy Hook shooting two years ago. I still remember all of my high school teachers being really on edge, but no one said anything until last period when my French teacher almost started crying and finally told us. I remember going home and hearing the NPR announcers cry on air, unable to say anything. This tragedy hit me harder than most, I lived in Sandy Hook until kindergarten, and still call it home. It was strange to see it be the center of attention, have all eyes on some tragedy happening in my home, because you never expect it to happen.

And nothing's happening to make sure this never happens again, legislators are stalling, the NRA is indignant, and despite Obama's best efforts we have remained in the exact same position that we were two years ago.

Have we learned nothing? Has this country lost all hope of improving? Both gun control and mental health policies need to be revised, but no one seems to want to do it. It's taken the lives of small children before, and it will again! And it could be anyone, anywhere!

This shit needs to stop, we have students and teachers living in fear, and unless precautions are taken it will continue. THIS ISN'T GOING TO GO AWAY ON IT'S OWN despite what everyone seems to think.

Here's a good article I found on it, for more information on this. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/12/14/a-teachers-open-letter-to-congress-what-kids-need-two-years-after-sandy-hook/

No comments:

Post a Comment