Sunday, March 1, 2015

Being Ace

*disclaimer: hey so this is just one person’s experience, and having a different one if totally legit and fine!*

So I identify as a female asexual biromantic. What does that mean, you ask? Well, asexuality is characterized as just not feeling sexual attraction towards other people. And that’s it. You can have sex/masturbate as much as you want and still be asexual. (There’s a difference between sexual attraction and sex drive that people often overlook and never talk about.) I also like to go by my romantic orientation, biromantic, as well. And finding this out has been a wild ride, let me tell you (in fact I’m going to).

My whole life I just assumed I was a heterosexual (I mean, most everyone does really) but just like really bad at it. I never really had crushes in school, I remember actually pretending to have one in first grade because these two girls that I was hanging out with during recess at the time were doing it. (It wasn’t the best situation, I really only hung out with them because they were the only ones in my class that I knew at all.) I literally just picked the same guy as one of the other girls, and then they decided that only one person could have a certain guy and just had me sit to the side while they talked about boys or like whatever. I developed a great relationship with woodchips.

In sixth grade a guy asked me out. There were several issues that I had with this, first of all he got his friend to ask me for him. I mean, guys if you’re going to ask someone out, do it yourself. And it was in the middle of lunch, which isn’t the best one-on-one time. So me being me, I thought it was a joke and practically yelled “no!” and she went back to him and told him and found the whole thing hilarious which I didn’t really appreciate because as I said I had no idea what was happening. Classic.

I’ve also had strange encounters with crushes, I tend to get crushes only after I think the guy might be into me a little. Which sounds good in theory, but I tend to misinterpret his body language and everything falls apart. In eighth grade a guy asked me to our first fancy dance. My main reaction was “uhhhhgee”. I eventually said yes. It didn’t end up working out since he got a girlfriend and didn’t tell me so we didn’t go together but ended up awkwardly dancing together anyways (eighth grade was weird man) and were even friends all through high school! And as a result of this, I had a bit of a crush for about a year after he asked me to the dance.

There have been a few more like that. And when I say that I mean like 2. I had never been on a date, and didn’t really even appreciate beautiful celebrities until halfway through high school. I thought I might have been slightly homosexual for a while because I had some feelings for my friends, I just wasn’t sure that I wanted to like have sex with girls (or guys really, I didn’t question my feelings much). I wasn’t too bothered by things like this, I kind of just wasn’t concerned with my orientation. In a like fuck labels way. I didn’t see the need to specifically pin down my orientation. I also had absolutely no idea what asexuality was. I knew it existed, but I only knew the biological definition of cells splitting in two.

And then a few months ago I hit on this article explaining asexuality (it was done through a comic, I think it’s still floating around) and it smacked me across the face: this article was talking about ME. It explained so much. Now I knew why I asked my mom how early humans knew sex would lead to reproduction when she gave me the talk, and why I almost walked in on my friend having sex when his girlfriend was over. Because the rationality behind having sex was just something that I didn’t understand at all!

Being asexual is pretty nice, fundamental Christians don’t seem to have a problem with us which is a nice bonus. Really the main problem is that no one knows what asexuality is (and this is coming from someone who didn’t know anything about it either until she realized she was one). Which is why I haven’t come out to many people, I just don’t want to have to explain it to them. And there’s other problems, like the fact that asexuality is characterized by a lack of attraction, so I tend to be in a lot of doubt about it sometimes (honestly whenever I feel like this I remember the aforementioned almost-walking-in-on-my-friend incident) (then I wonder how I missed the signs earlier). And another problem is realizing that everyone thinks completely differently from you, which can be a little alienating.

But the nice thing is that I now have words for what I am, and how I feel. And as I said, I came out to a few friends and they have all been nothing but supportive about it. (Full disclosure: I was a little drunk at the time. Pro tip: don’t do that.) I haven’t come out to my family because I can almost guarantee that they won’t know what it is, and that it won’t affect our relationship in any way. I still want to tell them at some point, I just have literally no idea how to do it. I’ll get around to it eventually.

What I would really like to see is more asexual awareness out there. The average person has no idea what asexuality is or what it means to be asexual. And this is a part of someone’s identity, it should be more widely known!

No comments:

Post a Comment