Sunday, November 27, 2016

“Neverwhere” by Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman’s pretty ok to me. There’s some people out there who are obsessed with him to a ridiculous level. But some of his stuff I like and other stuff I find to be a bit too much.

This story started off as a bit too much, it was the classic “oh send the narrator into a mysterious world with some pretty girl and he pines for home but then becomes a Warrior and doesn’t want to leave.”

But there were some redeeming qualities by the end. I don’t know, I’m just so sick of the archetypes in fantasy.

One example is the Marquis de Carabas, he is a wonderful character, and the version I had even gives a little story at the end about his coat. Others are also very unique, like Lear or Old Bailey.

Having said all that, it constantly annoys me how Gaiman’s women always need help from some guy. I thought that Hunter would be different but nope Richard has to help her in the end. Ugh.


Anyways it is a nice sort of Alice in Wonderland-esque story for adults, and the continual references to London, both past and present, are cool. But it still relies heavily on tropes and doesn’t really do much with them. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment