Saturday, May 6, 2017

The problem with gay white men

I don't know what the hell it is about them, or why they do so many things that tick me off, but they need to develop some self-awareness fast.

Being gay does not make you immune to misogyny, racism, or classism. In fact, I would argue that it makes you even more likely to participate in misogyny since most gay men that I have met find me even more worthless (since I identify as female) since I am not a sexual object to them. As if people didn't have a purpose beyond being sexual objects. Degrading your friendship with someone because you aren't dating isn't making the other person feel any better. Overtly stating that you prefer one of your male friends isn't endearing.

Saying offensive stuff and then using the excuse "it's fine, I'm gay" doesn't help either. Straight men aren't the only ones who are offensive to women, other races, or anyone else. That also misses the point completely. Sexism and racism are unconscious biases that we ALL have, myself included. Whether you happen to be part of a minority population or not doesn't fix that. It can only be combated by educating yourself and realizing these biases that you possess and how you may be acting on them.

And this self-awareness is really incredible since they never seem to shut up about themselves. Everything is a direct attack on them as a homosexual, nothing faces the LGBTQIA community at large, it's all specifically directed at them. I mean, sure, they're included in that, but realize that there are people worse off out there. Not everyone is a northeastern hipster with a buttload of privilege that they couldn't even begin to unpack. Most of the time you cannot bring up the subject of other people's plight without some genius launching off into how he has been personally victimized and his own struggles and how horrible it is for him when what we're trying to discuss someone else entirely. Part of being an ally and helping others is knowing when to shut up and listen instead. Talking about yourself incessantly means that you are, knowingly or not, taking up time that someone else could use more effectively, and voice opinions that aren't usually heard.

Sure I understand why this is, as part of the LGBTQIA community I get it. I know that you were growing up with a lot of insecurities about who you are, and that part of being in the closet means hiding and not talking to others, and how great it can feel when you're finally out and can talk about this. But I also know my place in the conversation, and I know that my problems aren't the most severe out there. And I think that this is something that the gay community as a whole needs to grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment