Friday, January 18, 2019

"Poirot Investigates" by Agatha Christie


Picked this up because I realized that despite my love of mysteries, I haven't really red much Agatha Christie. Also I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, so this seemed like it'd be up my alley.

To be honest, I was kind of confused by the selection of stories. They don't seem to be sequential, they definitely don't start at the very beginning, and there isn't really an order to them (besides the ending, which I'll get to). The result was that the whole thing seemed like a Homesian spin-off with the similar setting, partnership, and similar attitude to the police. I'm a little disappointed because to be honest I couldn't pin down the differences. Hastings is portrayed as a bit of an idiot next to the genius detective who consults for the police in the same way that Watson is. I guess Sherlock is British while Poirot is Belgian and Poirot is more OCD than Sherlock and doesn't do drugs but can't say much beyond that.

I do think that it was a nice touch to end with a case that Poirot would describe as a failure. (It isn't really much of a failure, the killer isn't so much as let free as Poirot doesn't press charges.) For much of the book he is trumpeting how smart he is so it's a good note to end on and contrast the rest of it. It also shows how Poirot is not the police, he can follow his own conscience above the law, an aspect that I love about Sherlock and him.

So I don't know, I guess this compilation is for those who either want a very light introduction to crime stores, or for those who are Poirot fanatics and want to hear all of the small stories as well. I just don't think it was a great fit for where I am, a Holmes nut wanting a lil something different from Poirot. I'll see if I can find other works by Christie to flesh this out a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment