Wednesday, January 15, 2020

This Is Beautiful: Fleabag Season 2

Like any good feminist I spent my winter break watching "Fleabag." I had heard that the first season was a bit of a slog but the second is Phoebe Waller-Bridge at the height of her writing and acting prowess. My family even recommended it to me, meaning that I was now definitely going to watch it.

It is all that and more. Don't get me wrong the first season is incredibly rough to get through. It has a great twist that hints at Waller-Bridge's prowess. I particularly enjoyed the silent retreat episode where she and her sister are at a female silent retreat. Meanwhile there's a male retreat that seems to consist of yelling "slut!" at lady dolls. The contrast between the two was hilarious and so demonstrative of current society.

The second season is where things really get good. Andrew Scott is a priest officiating the Fleabag's dad's wedding. He becomes her love interest throughout the season. His character is excellent, especially how it portrays his relationship with the church. His concerns and thoughts on it as a priest, speaking to the Fleabag, a proud atheist. The writing is so dang good.

Of particular note is her sister's arc as well. She got into an unhappy marriage with a really odd son and doesn't seem to know how to leave it. The season consists of her finding herself again and the ability to assert what she both wants and needs.

The best part might be the ending though. I don't want to give it away, but it's beautiful and sad and incredibly poignant. It is just about everything you didn't know you wanted out of the show. It sets up the characters to move forward, without relying on romantic partners. Which is probably my favorite aspect of it. We need more media like that!

The whole show just gets wrapped up so incredibly well. It is a relatively short show, but it is done excellently.

No comments:

Post a Comment