Saturday, February 1, 2020

Trying New Things

Trying out new things and new hobbies is something that I tend to think about a lot. I'm not really sure why, maybe it's because I tend to want to do different things and expand my skillset more than others (I'm a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none for sure) but I also don't have much to compare it to.

On the one hand, I think it is a good thing to do just because it helps to expand your mind and how you think about things. I definitely made a switch by getting into philosophy, and that has for sure changed how I think. But there are less obvious examples. Trying new styles of dance means that I look at movement in a different way, or spending a brief amount of time on lighting crew in high school means that I see light (particularly in theaters) differently. You can never be sure what impact a new activity will have on what you think.

But on the other hand, people are so terrified to step out of their comfort zones. No one wants to pick up a new hobby just to look like an idiot in front of people who have been doing this for years. And I get that, I get that so much. I've looked like a total idiot in front of so many people numerous times, believe me. But if you have always wanted to pick up a guitar or learn to juggle, there really is no time like the present. The age you master this skill is the same age you'll reach if you don't, may as well go for it and start something new!

And over time you get comfortable with discomfort and feel better about being a beginner at something. And the whole process gets easier and you become more confident about trying new things!

Here's the real kicker: I take a lot of risks and try to pick up new hobbies and skills all the time. I'm super comfortable with it. I take absolutely no risks in my personal life. Nada. Zilch. If I want to hang out with someone, I'll never actually say it. Ask someone on a date? Nope have never done that. Tell someone that I care about them a lot? I'll wait for the other person to say it first. I'm a freaking coward when it comes to my emotions and interpersonal relationships.

That's just to say, that we're all cowards in one way or another. Apparently I'm real comfy with looking like a fool on stage or auditioning for something I have 0 chance of making, but I am so unable to strike up a conversation where I might be rejected. Maybe I should branch out more and work on those skills and developing that comfort there.

No comments:

Post a Comment