Wednesday, May 6, 2020

This Is Beautiful: Choreographing

Alright I've probably talked about this before but it's relevant again so I'm going to do it again. Being an amateur artist in quarantine really sucks. There isn't much that I can work on and few people I can talk to now that we're separated and I don't need to rely on my art for income. Not many projects are happening and even if they were it'd be very hard to make a performance happen.

So I stopped choreographing and making anything for a while. I had one solo that I made shortly after we went into isolation, but I had mostly created it before then. And for the past couple of weeks I did truly know that I needed to start working on something or go insane. I can kinda feel the itch these days. But I had ignored it for a while in favor of reading and watching TV. Both of which are things that I enjoy, but they don't come with that feeling of creation that I was missing.

Then yesterday I finally sat down and choreographed something. It'll probably never see the light of day sure, but I made it anyways. And I could tell right away that I got happier. The main proof being that I realized how hungry I was and ate an entire thing of dried cranberries in between choreo ideas. That forced me to realize that I was probably undereating since I've been sad again.

It is important to do active activities while in quarantine as well, which I had forgotten. (By "active" I don't mean physically active, I mean more like activities that require us to actively think about an activity. Like choreographing, or playing an instrument, or drawing. We can't just passively consume media, we also need to be active.) But I'm glad I managed to remember it!

No comments:

Post a Comment