Wednesday, June 24, 2020

This Is Beautiful: Small Town Protests

Okay so I know across the country there are plenty of protests that have turned into riots with police tear gassing innocent people and really scary stuff. I don't want to talk about that, I'm going to primarily be speaking about a protest that I went to in my smallish town. It was still supported by people affiliated with Black Lives Matter, and everything about it was very kosher and peaceful.

Maybe it's that I've been starved for interactions with other people, but there seemed to be a real camaraderie and certain sort of togetherness at this march. Sure I definitely experienced that at bigger protests like the ones I went to in DC, but this one felt particularly close. It was hot and I was sweaty and wanted to leave, but I didn't, primarily because I wanted to hang in there and see the dance party after the march and what these people would do.

Possibly it's due to the smaller size, possibly it's because I haven't seen a big group of people in forever. But I really appreciated and enjoyed the energy at this march, I'm so glad that I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment