Saturday, October 16, 2021

The Dave Chappelle Special: I'm not watching it

 Alright look, this isn't really about the special. It's more about how sick I am of this kind of discourse. I'm really really sick of someone saying inflammatory things and us giving them a huge platform for it by discussing it. I have no desire to watch this. If you want to see a decent breakdown of this, head to Jessie Gender's excellent video on it here. But I'm focusing on something larger than that.

It's just so exhausting seeing all of the transphobes come out of the woodwork and rally around this special and these comments. Everyone has some hot take on this one way or another, but rarely is the goal of these comments to learn and grow. It's more to just dunk on someone and yell about it. We all want to make a lot of noise, but rarely do we want to reflect on our opinions and what they say about us.

Particularly with people on the left, those that are defending trans people, they tend to virtue signal rather than really interact with the ideas. I'm very sick of people just taking a holier than thou stance and pointing out the contradictions instead of trying to contribute to work going against this. By educating people or dismantling the system of transphobia that creates people like this. (This is why Jessie Gender's video is good, she takes a lot of time to interact with it and doesn't just dunk on things and leave.)

Really the special is only popular right now because so many people are discussing it. We have made Chappelle so incredibly powerful instead of taking that away. If you want to cancel someone truly, stop talking about them. Don't even acknowledge it. No I'm not doing this right now, but I really need to vent and I'll go back to not discussing it afterwards. Interacting with these ideas just adds to their power, I doubt that Chappelle actually gives that much of a shit what we think anyways. Just walk away.

Anyways, I'm not watching the special, and I'm going to be super critical of anyone who does at this point because I suspect that they're just there to add fuel to the flames. And honestly shame on Netflix for putting it up on their platform. I'm exiting the system as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment