Wednesday, January 26, 2022

This Is Beautiful: "Fix Yourself Not the World"

 One of my favorite bands is The Wombats. Not sure that I've talked about them much on here, but I've been obsessed with their upbeat sound and amusing lyrics since I was in high school. Their last album came out in 2018, "Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life," and it was incredible! While in the years since then there's been a couple solo projects, the band themselves haven't done much.

But that has all changed, a week and a half ago "Fix Yourself Not the World" came out! I have been waiting for this album since it was announced last August, I was so ready for this! And the album honestly does not disappoint. It has one of the most cohesive sounds that I've heard without feeling repetitive.

The lyrics and song titles just feel like they were made for the moment. "Worry" is all about anxiety and feeling like you're worried too much, and this is just so relatable right now. "Everything I Love is Going to Die" also seems to be born of that anxiety and it mentions quarantine right in it. I saw the band tweet that "People Don't Change People Time Does" is about LA and how that city can destroy you, but it does feel like it is also part of the cultural zeitgeist. So many of us are dealing with people that we disagree with, and wondering how we can change their minds to try and see eye to eye. It really struck a note with me. And then "Work is Easy, Life is Hard" is practically speaking right to all overworked millennials right now struggling to get their lives together. 

This band has meant to much to me over the years, it's really cool to see the changes that they are going through with their sound and topics of their songs. It really feels like we're growing together, and that's a feeling that's hard to create and maintain.

No comments:

Post a Comment