Wednesday, January 10, 2024

This Is Beautiful: Scott Pilgrim vs the World

 Now I haven't read the graphic novel, and I'm about to watch the Netflix animated show, but I really love the movie starring Michael Cera. My partner hadn't watched it yet so we watched it together the other night and I forgot just how much I adore this movie. It has such a unique and evocative blend of comic book aesthetic and video game noises and mechanics. You wouldn't think that all three (movie, comic book, and video game) would work well together, but it's so distinctive and merges together so well!

And then there's the fact that the casting is incredible! Everyone in it has so much talent. And the plot I think is still different from any other movie. It takes a really critical look at relationships and how everyone gets hurt, and you can't fully escape that past, regardless of if you hurt others or were hurt yourself. The final battle with Scott using self-respect to defeat the villain, coming clean to Knives and Ramona, is something that you still don't see in media frequently. I wish more would take the self-respect route rather than "love" or something.

With the new show, maybe I'll finally pick up the graphic novel. I haven't been avoiding it, I just haven't had the need since I like the movie so much. But this could be a really cool comparison of the different formats for the same story.

No comments:

Post a Comment