Sunday, April 7, 2024

Why PhDs are Hard

 Honestly this weekend has been tough, I've been trying to get my spirits up for the fun things I have going on but it sucks. PhDs are so hard.

Part of it is the uncertainty. You don't know when you'll graduate, or if you're even on the right path, and you just have to keep chugging with that. Hopefully the stuff you do gets you closer, but also it might not be doing that, maybe it's a detour. And you just have to take your chances there.

Then there's how much time you put into it. Which means that you can also really easily destroy things that you put a lot of time into. And that just hurts so much more than destroying something that was already there. (It also hurts if someone else mucks it up, but then at least you aren't beating yourself up.) There's experiments you can put months into, only for one thing to be off and it doesn't work. Somehow this has happened to me multiple times and I'm getting so sick of it.

So it's just rough. And I don't know what it is about recently, but I feel like I've just been sitting in how hard it is. Hoping next week will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment