Saturday, June 11, 2016

“Autobiography of a Yogi” by Paramahansa Yogananda

Not going to lie, the main reason why I picked up this book was because I know that George Harrison was a fan of it. So there’s that. Beatles obsession aside, I also am into spiritual books and books about spiritual people, so I figured that I would like this.

As the title suggests, it is the autobiography of a yogi, the first one written in English I think. Yogananda was also the first one to come to America and spread teachings here, as well as setting up a community in California that then spread. As you can imagine, he has lived a pretty interesting life, bringing together the Eastern and Western schools of thought.

Most of the book consists of descriptions of various other yogis and people that he has met on his travels, such as other yogis and yoginis (female yogis). There is precious little about his own life, the section on America is pretty short, and when he does discuss it he presents his life as leading to something else. For example, he set up a school for boys in India, he does not really say how just says that it happened when he needs to tell a story of a visitor there. Which is all very humble and everything, but I would have liked more insight into what he did, especially while in America. At one point he does not write anything but takes a passage from his companion’s travel journal!

There are sections when it gets heavy and slightly unbelievable, such as when his guru appears to him in a vision and describes the afterlife. Or the very many descriptions of miracles and visions that he or others have. It gets pretty unbelievable, but I also keep a policy where I will not argue with it until I am also an Indian yogi, these are people who devote their lives to God, so I bet that he pays special attention to them and gives them miracles more often.

In terms of the religions here, literally all of them are present. The Bible is often discussed, as well as Hindu teachings. Buddhism and Islam are also mentioned frequently. Literally no matter what your religious background is, you can find something to relate to here. I found that to be really nice, he takes the teachings from multiple religions and brings them all together in unity.


I will tell you right now that this book is not for everyone, it is pretty religious and a little bit out dated since it was originally published in the 40s. But as someone who is interested in religion, I found it to be a fascinating read, and one that I think was well worth having.

No comments:

Post a Comment