Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Orlando

tw: the events of Orlando over the weekend

I’ve been thinking for a while about what the best way to respond to the Orlando shooting would be. And as of now, I don’t have a good answer.

To be honest, I’m really tired and fed up with all of this. I’m tired of hearing about mass shootings like Sandy Hook, San Bernardino, and now Orlando. I’m tired of all the hate circulating because of it. I’m tired of having different groups of people being pit against each other on the basis of race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. And how many innocent people need to die before anyone in our government decides to do anything about it?

But I also know that the only way to fight against this kind of hate is with love. Love for each other, love for the LGBTQA+ community, love for people the media will try to pin this on. Yes there is a time and a place for mourning and anger, but ultimately we must respond to this with love and only love, since to respond with hate would put us on the same level as the sicko who caused this in the first place.

I have no idea what will happen as a result of this tragedy, but I do know that everyone needs to help the victims (by donating blood, etc) and stay determined to not let the media cause them to give up on love and the dream of peace, as remote as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment