Saturday, July 9, 2016

The First 90 Days by Michael D. Watkins

Full disclosure: I was given this book for free when I started my job so I figured that I’d read it and give it a try. It’s about the first 90 days in a new job or new position and the changes that you should expect and tips for how to deal with them. Honestly, I don’t think it’s helpful at all.

Transitions are important, absolutely, and you want to get up to speed asap, but the ridiculously anal way that the author expects you to go about them I think would create more problems than it would solve. For example, you really shouldn’t irritate your co-workers by filling out a little chart of every conversation and the things that you accomplished. The result is that some things are really overcomplicated, and then others are simplified down to the point of annoyance. He also uses all of these various acronyms and mnemonic devices, but it seems like he made them up and they aren’t actually corporate jargon because I’ve never heard/seen of them outside of this book.

Sure these techniques are probably helpful, and it is good to know what to keep in mind when going to meetings and everything, but take it with a grain of salt please!

Then there’s the general structure. Each chapter is started with a story about some hypothetical person who switched jobs or was promoted and did everything wrong. I think maybe 1 out of the 10 chapters involved someone transitioning well, which is just disheartening. And it nearly always was obvious what they did wrong, which makes me question the purpose of these little anecdotes. If you can figure out what they’re doing wrong right away, then do you even need to read the chapter?


So this book has a nice concept behind it, but not implemented terribly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment