Monday, April 1, 2019

Variations on a Theme: Breakup Songs


Yeah full disclosure I’m going through one hell of a breakup so here’s just a list of songs that have been helping me through it. Maybe they will help someone else too.

1. “Show Me Where It Hurts” by Jukebox the Ghost

I figured out how to play this song on the ukulele to get some feelings out. It’s a really beautiful piece, more about depression than a breakup, but it helps with the sad.

2. “Miss Missing You” by Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy is such a great band, they have angry songs about everything. Especially for when “the person that you’d take a bullet for is behind the trigger.”

3. “Isabel” by The Wombats

Again, pretty sad song. Mildly depressing. But it’s super charming, I like it a lot.

4. “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers

COMING OUT OF MY CAGE AND I BEEN DOING JUST FINE

5. “Love Is a Laserquest” by The Arctic Monkeys

Another one I learned on ukulele. I swear the Arctic Monkeys know my life and were writing about my future with this whole album, but this is one of my favorite tracks. The blend of instruments is great, highlighting guitar while also featuring the drums and that beat, and the lyrics are wonderful.


Classic breakup song about someone moving on before you do. It’s sad but it happens. I just really love the melody in this song, how it verges on a wail or scream or something without ever crossing that line.


Another classic. Honestly Adele’s whole album that this was from was about breakups. Yeah you know the words, don’t pretend you don’t.

8. “I Will Follow You Into the Dark” by Death Cab for Cutie

A really cute song, but real sad if you think about it. The singer isn’t with his beloved, but is saying that he would go with them into the afterlife anyways.

9. “Sonata Pathetique” by Beethoven

I love this piece for piano. Supposedly Beethoven wrote it about his suicidal thoughts, and it is about his fight with them after going deaf. The piano captures the mood so beautifully, which doesn’t mean that it isn’t a violent piece full of emotions, but means that it expresses it in a wonderful way.

10. “Praying” by Ke$ha

Fuck people who mess with you and make you feel less than you are. They don’t deserve your time, and I hope they find salvation someday.


That’s all for now! Next month will be SUMMER SONGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment