Saturday, April 27, 2019

"the princess saves herself in this one" by Amanda Lovelace


I've been meaning to read this one for a while, it caught my eye in a bookstore months ago. I finally managed to borrow it from a friend. It's a quick read, as a collection of poems most of the page doesn't actually have words on it haha. But a lot of it is very powerful, and potentially very triggering.

The book tells the story of how the author was abused when she was younger, and how she pulled through it and got to a better place. The entire thing is accompanied by the metaphor of her being a princess who turns into a queen and defeats her dragons.

Some of the poems are really lovely and quite good. And it's super inspirational to hear about her journey. But I found myself thinking at times that the content doesn't super live up to how great the title is. And the format of doing this in a series of poems leaves the reader wanting several additional details. So while I loved parts of this, in general, I think I'm slightly disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment