Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Variations on a Theme: Summer Songs


Yeah I know we're not quiiiite at summer yet but let's do this to get hype for it anyways.

1. “Summertime” by George and Ira Gershwin

Jazz standard from the opera “Porgy and Bess” as well as an excellent tune. I find it sums up summer rather well, the heat and the laziness especially. Ugh, humidity.

2. “School’s Out” by Alice Cooper

And now for something completely different! A standard from the like elementary/middle school days where you just wanted to feel edgy about leaving school and going to summer camp or whatever it is the kids are doing now.

3. “The English Summer” by The Wombats

Not totally sure if the English summer is referring to something specific on the other side of the pond, but this song definitely gets the stir-crazy stuff I feel when I spend too long at home.

4. “In the Summertime” by Mungo Jerry

Similar to “Summertime” this song brings to mind lazing around. Doesn’t help that it’s so catchy and has a great beat.

5. “Soak Up the Sun” by Sheryl Crow

An oldie but goodie, this can only be played at the beach.

6. “When the Day Met the Night” by Panic! At the Disco

Man this song is catchy! And it’s so fun to listen to, nothing more summer than a little fun.

7. “Summertime Blues” by Eddie Cochran

Time to bring the mood down a little with some blues. Summer can bring up sad memories as well. It must be how when we’re young and in school it’s a completely different season to be in. No school and things. Anyways, this is a good sad song about summer.

8. “Summertime Sadness” by Lana Del Ray

Another sad song. Maybe I should have put my ramble here. Anyways, yup summer can be sad. I think this song really accurately captures it. Also Lana Del Ray is an incredible person.

9. “Summer Breeze” by the Isley Brothers

A great, catchy song here. It always seems to me like it’s a little sad as well. Let’s use it as a pick-me-up here.


Have to end with this, it doesn’t mention summer, but spending a Saturday in a park is a pretty summertime thing to do. Also it’s an incredible song. Love those horns.


Next playlist is going to be my last one as I’m going to grad school and that’s going to take up my time. So get ready for a playlist to end all playlists: MY FAVORITE SONGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment