Wednesday, August 14, 2019

This Is Beautiful: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Up next in the series of me watching gay children's cartoons, "She-Ra" is a show on Netflix that started last winter. A friend of mine introduced me to it (she knew that I really liked "Steven Universe") and I've been hooked. It just came out with the third season, and I would bet that it's going to continue after this.

The show tells the story of Adora, a soldier in the Horde who is tasked with fighting the Princesses of Power. Eventually Adora ends up outside of the Horde's lands and sees the destruction that they are wreaking, learns that she is a mystical warrior known as She-Ra, and decides to switch sides. Along with new friends Bow and Glimmer, she starts uniting the Princesses against the Horde. However, she left her best friend Catra with the Horde and now Catra hates Adora and wants to make her life miserable.

It's very well-written for a children's show, definitely not as sophisticated as "Steven Universe," but it takes a great look at friendships. Particularly female ones. The main reason why it's been labeled "gay" my the mainstream media is Adora's relationship to Catra. I'm a little baffled by this since they have clearly a toxic relationship where Adora cares about Catra very much and Catra just wants revenge. Honestly I found it cathartic in the last season when Adora stands up to her and punches her in the face.

If you're looking for something to binge, I would highly recommend! Can't wait for more episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment