Wednesday, August 5, 2020

This Is Beautiful: Secret Little Haven

Over prelims I started a game called "Secret Little Haven." It's about a trans girl discovering herself and her identity through the internet and fandom life in the late 90s. I'm not super far into it, but I can already tell that I am going to enjoy this.

The main pull for me is the gaming format. Your computer screen essentially becomes the main character's, Alex, as she navigates the internet. You can go through her files and play minigames or write fanfiction in a word processer, and peruse an online forum through the internet. There's even a control terminal you can input lines into! It is a really cool way to incorporate creativity into a storyline and to get to know a character.

And there's the story itself about finding yourself and how interacting with different people can facilitate that. I am not very far in, but seeing the internet as a community for Alex and how she can explore the world, find people to connect with, and discover herself is really sweet. It all revolves around this magical girl show that Alex is a fan of, there are explanations online but I don't quite understand the plot. But that's fine.

I'm excited to finish it, other reviews online have said that it is super powerful and emotional. We'll just see where Alex goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment