Wednesday, November 18, 2020

This Is Beautiful: My Ace Journey

The main point of this post is to announce that I finally put together an asexuality tag for this blog. I don't know why it took me this long since I've been posting about it for over 5 years now. I suspect that I initially didn't want to make a big deal of it, but here we are and I'm still making a big deal out of it. 

It's really interesting going back and reading my early posts. My original post about coming out is from March 1st, 2015. The writing isn't super so I'm not linking to it, but it's very easy to search for it. And it's strange to see how my priorities haven't changed so much. I talked a lot about awareness, and not understanding crushes. Both things that I am still working on. I also have a couple posts lamenting that asexuals are rarely included in popular discourse about the LGBTQ+ community, which still sometimes happens. 

I don't think I would love going back to my previous self, I have a feeling that I'd think that she's an idiot, but it's interesting to take a glimpse every once in a while. Just to see how much I've grown. I would never have guessed back then just how invested in the community that I would become. Or maybe I actually would have seen this coming, I knew that those were my people almost instantly. It's hard to tell now, since hindsight is 20/20.

Regardless, this identity has been a large part of my life for over 5 years now, and it's safe to say that it will stay a part of it for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment