Saturday, February 6, 2021

“25 Years at the Public: A Love Story” by Paula Scher

This is a book that my parents got me, I assume more or less on a bit of a whim. It is a bit like a coffee table book that shows images of graphic designs and posters that Paula Scher has made throughout her career of designing for the Public Theater. The Public Theater is the theater in New York City that primarily puts on works for the people, without talking down to them. It is the group in charge of Shakespeare in the Park, for example. Both “Fun Home” and “Hamilton” got their start there, before moving to Broadway. Scher has done posters and graphic design for them sine the 90s, primarily out of the love for the job rather than the money. I was surprised that I recognized a number of the posters, or at least the style. I guess it would be hard not to, they were everywhere in NYC at certain points.

The most distinctive aspect of her design is certainly the text. Usually it is in big, bold capitol letters, almost has a pop art quality to them. The text is emphasized much more so than the play or any particular aspects of the plot. The Shakespeare plays are usually only on there in title only, no costumes or faces to be seen.

The most recognizable of her early work is definitely the posters for “Bring in Da Noise/Bring in Da Funk” which I remember very well. I don’t think I ever saw the originals, I just recognize prints and souvenirs in several theaters that I’ve been in and performed in. It’s just so distinctive, and it helps that it has a catchy title. Other than that, the later Shakespeare in the Park posters definitely stick out in my memory. It is amazing what she does with just text and how that stands out in your mind.

A lot of the book is dedicated to the balance in design between creating a cohesive design identity to a specific theater versus an individual production. Which is not an aspect of design that I had thought much about. But clearly Scher struggled with this and was thinking about it for much of her career. Both have to be distinctive in order for both to succeed, therefore all plays from a specific company must make a cohesive whole and stand out individually. I think in the end Scher comes down hard on the side of the theater. That way any stand out plays elevate all works that the theater puts on. Which is interesting, I imagine that it is hard to not completely change the look for certain plays and stick to a more uniform style.

Very cool read, definitely makes for a change. Graphic design is one of those neat aspects of living in modern society that we are constantly absorbing, but never stop to think about it. It’s good to have the spotlight placed on that for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment