Saturday, February 20, 2021

“Who Cooked Adam Smith’s Dinner?: A Story of Women and Economics” by Katrine Marcal

My partner recommended this book to me, to be honest it is very unlikely that I would pick up a book about economics of my own volition. But it was a fascinating read. I know nothing about economics or markets or any of that, and this made it very easy to understand. Plus I enjoy a good reading of anything from a feminist lens.

Marcal’s basic argument is that economics is all framed around this idea that man is rational and selfish when it comes to money and wants it all for himself. However, no one actually interacts this way. What the economy forgot to figure in was all of the care roles within society such as nursing or taking care of the elderly or the children. Roles that are traditionally seen as feminine and for women.

Adam Smith is seen as the father of modern economics, but when he was devising his theories he conveniently forgot about the fact that his mother cared for him all throughout her life. It was she who cooked his dinner and brought it to him every day! And yet, women are invisible when it comes to economic theories.

Economics has always seemed like a frustrating discipline to me since I would never want to study and analyze problems made by people. This highlighted all of the shortcomings inherent in this world, all in a very easily understood manner. Would highly recommend to those interested in economics, feminism, or (even better) both!

No comments:

Post a Comment