Sunday, June 19, 2022

Caretaking

 Caretaking is so much harder than I thought it'd be. This is going to be an incoherent post since I'm still sorting it all out and haven't had much time, but that's the general idea.

I genuinely love taking care of my partner, but since he's had surgery it's been difficult. I think I ended up being much more worried about him than I thought I'd be. Any type of surgery is scary, even ones with a low probability of issues. 

I also realized how much time it takes up. He does a lot around the house and now I have to do it all! Not that I didn't appreciate it before, but I didn't fully internalize that I'd be doing the work of two people.

And it creates a sort of strange power dynamic. Your partner is supposed to be your equal, and now I'm looking after him and worrying about him. It's an adjustment for sure.

I'll probably have more fleshed out thoughts at some point in the future, but for now, that's what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment