Wednesday, June 15, 2022

This Is Beautiful: "Arcade Spirits: The New Challengers"

 I finally popped open my Steam account and downloaded the sequel to "Arcade Spirits" that I've been waiting for all this time. I am not very far into it, but I already adore the game!

One great improvement over the original is the amount of customization. You can pick your name, nickname, pronouns (from many options), body type, clothing, and you even get to design your rival! It's really cool especially to see all of the pronoun options, there's the typical he, she, they, but also many more like fae, ze, it, etc. What great queer representation!

Then there's the characters. These have always been the strength of visual novels like these. I immediately fell in love with Grace, a wonderful Black lady scientist. She just resonates with me so much as a fellow scientist. Then there's Locksley, who was clearly inspired by Robin Hood. Robin Hood in the legends is originally from Locksley, plus the character wears a green hoodie and is a rogue game repairer who values justice and fairness. I'm obsessed. Plus there's a super cool disabled character, Jynx, who I also love. And others, but those are the main ones so far.

I'm so excited to see how the story unfolds and how the game mechanics come to life like the original. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment