Saturday, November 12, 2022

“The Border Keeper” by Kerstin Hall

Look, I love the free ebooks that I can get from Tor.com, but I’ve now had two in a row that I don’t really love and I think it speaks to how when you are just getting a random book, they can be hit or miss.

I don’t even know how I would sum up this book as I had no idea what was happening a lot of the time. There’s this man and he goes to the Border Keeper mentioned in the title with a request to find someone. She takes him into another world, I’m not sure if it’s like the world of the living and the world of the dead or a realistic world and a fantasy world or what the distinction is, but they go over there and do some things and eventually find her. How he knows that he found her I do not know, it just is stated in the text. And there’s also a subplot where the Border Keeper accidentally split her child’s soul in eight pieces and they are all hunting her down. At the end of the book the man defeats these pieces, I also do not know how this happens. But it’s implied he spontaneously becomes a god.

I think the main issue is that we never get enough information to actually figure out what is happening in the book. It is not a very long book either, so we do not have enough time to become attached to the characters or the world before getting lost in the sauce as it were. The result is a confusing mess where I just figure I should finish the book even if I could not tell you what happened in it.

Once again, there is a sequel. I will not be looking to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment