Thursday, August 13, 2015

50 Years of “A Spaniard in the Works”

Seeing how it was recently the 50th anniversary of “Help!” I thought I’d also look at the 50th anniversary of John Lennon’s second book to be published “A Spaniard in the Works”.

I don’t know why, but “In His Own Write” seems to be much more well-known than “A Spaniard in the Works”. Probably because they’re essentially the same nonsense with funny little pictures.

I’ve always wondered whether this would actually sell if he wasn’t a Beatle. I bet many people wouldn’t have bought it if he wasn’t, and there isn’t a ton of literary merit to it.

Personally, I find it hilarious. There’s a lot of wordplay, and he mocks pretty much everything from Sherlock Holmes to Snow White in this book. I’m sure that I don’t understand half of the jokes made, but the stories are short so if you don’t like one it doesn’t last long.


I don’t know, I think it’s a funny little book. Can’t hurt to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment