Wednesday, August 19, 2015

“The Prisoner of Heaven” by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

So after that last rant you’ll probably be surprised to hear that I actually liked this book, and probably would have liked “The Angel’s Game” more if I read “The Prisoner of Heaven” before reading that.

This book goes back to the characters of “The Shadow of the Wind” and this time focuses a lot on Fermin. (Which is a winner in my book because who doesn’t like that guy, honestly.) It sort of takes the events of the other two books in the trilogy and ties them together even tighter.

It also made the ending of “The Angel’s Game” a little bit better for me to deal with because it reveals that the book itself was written by Martin and he was a little loony at the time. So Cristina reappearing (she’s never mentioned in “The Prisoner of Heaven” so this is just the way I’m choosing to interpret it) was probably symbolic for him and didn’t ‘really’ happen. Or something.

I don’t know why, but this book felt a lot shorter to me, and the plot definitely isn’t as intense as the other two books. It’s more of a wrap-up than anything else.


So yeah, final judgement call is that this doesn’t come anywhere near “The Shadow of the Wind”, but it makes “The Angel’s Game” better and I say that makes reading “The Prisoner of Heaven” worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment