Sunday, August 2, 2015

Organic Chemistry Sucks

So I spent the past seven weeks taking both semesters of organic chemistry. And it was one heck of a time had by all.

Having gone through all that, I think I would recommend taking it over the summer for other people. You manage to get the class over with fairly quickly, and you learn it all so fast that you can’t forget most things in that short amount of time. It probably means that there are less tests as well.

But that also means that you have a test every week and are doing a lot of work packed into a short amount of time, especially if you’re taking the lab as well. Honestly, there isn’t really a point unless you take the lab with the course because that’s really what grad schools and med schools are looking for.

(A word about the lab: I have yet to hear of a chem department anywhere that actually does a decent job of integrating the lab with the lecture and managing it well and all that. As far as I can tell, they always cover different material and the lab portion takes up an absurd amount of time relative to how much that grade is actually worth. Ugh.)

I was worried that missing out on a summer internship would be bad for my future endeavors and all that, but I have been working in a lab during the year and have worked in a few labs over previous summers, so I don’t think it’ll hurt too much.


I ended up here mostly because I’m going abroad and didn’t have the room in my schedule for it during the year, but it turned out ok and I survived, so there’s that. See if it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment