Friday, October 19, 2018

“It Devours!” by Joseph Fink and Jeffery Cranor


Full confession: I’ve never listed to the “Welcome to Night Vale” podcast and this is actually my first exposure to the series. I think it’s amazing.

Night Vale is full of crazy stuff like vague yet menacing government agents, and helicopters circling the city. All of these descriptions are given in a completely serious tone, as though it is the most normal thing in the world for there to be someone farming invisible corn. Just the tone and the details themselves really draw you into the world and make you want to continue reading.

But there is much more to this story than that. This is about the interaction of religion and science, and about the limitations of both of them. In this day and age, we can often forget about how science does have limits, or how religion has numerous strengths to its name. I wish I could go into more detail, but that would completely spoil the ending.

Let’s just leave it at how the characters are super engaging, the world is quirky, and everything about it keeps you guessing and giggling. I would highly recommend this to anyone, and I think I’ll start listening to the podcast now, I wonder how it compares to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment