Friday, December 21, 2018

“Too Much and Not the Mood” by Durga Chew-Bose


I don’t usually read collections of essays, but this was recommended to me by a friend who showed me relatable passages, and there really isn’t a better word for this work. As a young female living in a city, it is inherently “relatable.”

Chew-Bose writes the way that I could wish that I could write, short, easily understood sentences, and yet it all seems very profound. Her thoughts weave between various related memories and shows a thread of interconnectedness through it all. She writes about hearts, about living alone, about being the daughter of immigrants, about being a daughter in general. She just seems to get it, it being contemporary life.

Most of her essays are rather short (the exception being the first one, which is 93 pages funnily enough) but I think the most memorable one is the one on sounds that she cannot forget. This includes passing sounds, like an athlete saying “practice,” and some more serious. It made me think of sounds that I cannot forget, because despite being a musician I actually have a hard time keeping sounds in my brain. The first note of “Day Tripper” maybe. Or a meme. Definitely nothing as cool and put together as what she has.

Really great memoir writers somehow find a way to make it not about themselves (because anyone can write about themselves). Here Chew-Bose finds a way to turn her writing on its head and make it all about the reader instead, which is quite a feat. In reading it you start to think about your life and your experiences, and how they relate to hers. It is a rare and heart opening experience indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment