Friday, June 7, 2019

"Keeping an Eye Open: Essays on Art" by Julian Barnes


As an art enthusiast, I figured that this book would be right up my alley. Barnes is a rather well-known novelist who has written about art and artists for a while. This is a collection of his essays on the subject.

To be honest, I felt as though the quality of these essays was rather variable. I quite liked the first one, but it's fundamentally different from all of the other essays in the collection. The first one is a deep dive into the circumstances surrounding a particular painting, while the others are typically essays about a painter's general life and work. I can't help but wish he had the increased focus of the first essay on a single painting instead of the broader focus which often feels like too much in the other chapters. Similarly, I liked his essay on "So is it art?" towards the end, but again, it stands alone in this book.

On a related note, I'm not sure what the order was of these essays. I would have ended with "So is it art?" but that essay is followed by two more chapters on specific artists. My best guess is chronological by the artist he's talking about, but then the more meta essay is just thrown in at random. Possibly it's chronological based on when he wrote the essays, but that just seems so insufficient for a work that is focused on art rather than collecting all of Barnes' essays. Either way, I don't understand the order, for the most part it flows alright but I have no idea what the overall structure is.

My biggest problem though with this book is that it has this annoying tendency to allude to all of these fancy painters and pictures, but doesn't show examples of half of them! This leads to either pulling out a phone and Googling every other sentence or just accepting that the example goes over your head and moving on. Books about art need to show art as well, just describing it is hardly enough. And even if I was familiar with the painting being referenced, the work would still benefit from giving an example right there, next to the text.

I'm being rather harsh though, Barnes has a number of interesting insights into the lives of the painters he writes about, and how their work affected the world around them. I quite liked the chapters on Manet, Degas, and Hodgkin in particular. But I do wish that I went into this book knowing a little more about what to expect and what I would be getting out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment