Saturday, June 1, 2019

Variations on a Theme: My Favorite Songs

The playlist to end all playlists!


1. “Emoticons” by The Wombats

I love this song, it’s the opening track from their third album, “Glitterbug.” It’s so catchy and melodic, I could listen to it all day!

2. “What A Catch, Donnie” by Fall Out Boy

Taking things down a little here, this is a song that really goes on a journey. It starts off slow but slowly builds and builds into this insane number. You just have to listen to it to really understand what I mean.

3. “Reckless Serenade” by the Arctic Monkeys

Another favorite band of mine, off of my favorite album of theirs, “Suck it And See.” I’ve always been into slow songs by the Arctic Monkeys, and less the faster single-like songs. This is classic, angsty them with plenty of emotion and elegant guitar riffs.

4. “Starman” by David Bowie

This playlist would not be complete without our man Bowie. I was first introduced to his music through this song/album and have been hooked ever since. It’s a gorgeous song, one that never quite seems to age, only grow more timeless.

5. “The Asphalt Jungle” by Duke Ellington

I first found this tune through a youth jazz group I was in, funnily enough. We performed an arrangement of it and I’ve been hooked since. It’s a very catchy melody, heightened by Ellington clapping along with the beat. Originally I believe it was for a tv show called “The Asphalt Jungle” but I have yet to find a clip or anything of it so I don’t know much about it’s plot.

6. “Oh Love” by Green Day

This song was everywhere for like a month and now I never hear it. It’s such a good song though, very catchy melody. It doesn’t really sound like typical Green Day, much more lyrical and less angry, but I think it’s A+.

7. “In the Stone” by Earth, Wind, & Fire

One of my favorite Earth, Wind, & Fire songs. Also have heard a couple decent jazz band arrangements of it. The rhythms in it are so good, very danceable. Definitely deserves more attention than it gets.


Queen is one of my favorite bands and this is definitely one of my favorite songs by them. It really doesn’t get much better than this.

9. “Give Me Love” by Ed Sheeran

This is the closing song off of Sheeran’s first album, and I just think it’s so good. It’s fun to yell and is a great note to end an album on. The fact that there’s a lil bonus song thrown in is just icing on the cake.

10. “All You Need is Love” by the Beatles

Yeah, can’t forget my favorite band and my favorite song on this list. And that’s just the way I want to end my last playlist.


Thanks for listening, I’ve had fun with this experiment. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment