Wednesday, October 28, 2020

This Is Beautiful: "Generations" by Will Butler

 I know Will Butler primarily as one of the members of Arcade Fire, but recently I've been getting more into his solo albums. After hearing "Anna" ages ago, I figured that this was a musician to watch. His third solo album dropped back in September, and I finally gave it a listen.

I really dug this whole album. It opens with "Outta Here" which builds up from nothing into lyrics that sing about how he (Butler) is getting out of here, he's done and is moving on. It's an awesome opener. From there the rest of the record showcases the diverse sounds that Butler can produce. He goes from punk to folk to church music easily, and in a way that makes it fun. "Bethlehem" could easily have been written by the Talking Heads back in the 80s, while "Surrender" sounds like it's straight from the 60s. I have to wonder if calling the album "Generations" was a nod to all his influences...

It also strikes me how he's able to make songs about some really dark subjects but make them fun and upbeat. "Not Gonna Die" is probably the best example where the lyrics are about death and various ways to die, but it still sounds so upbeat in a way that you can't help but sing along to. "Promised" is similar where it's about being betrayed by a lover but it's one heck of a bop. It really speaks to Butler's talent that he's able to sustain both feelings in such a way where you know that the song is about dark themes but you also enjoy listening to him talk about it. It isn't like say "Blurred Lines" where you feel bad to enjoy the song, you're just struck by the dissonance going on between the emotions that the words hold and the emotions that your body is feeling.

The last song in particular is one that really leaves me with some mixed emotions. The lyrics start off as being about George Washington having slaves, and from there it takes a more autobiographical turn. But the chorus says "it's fine, you've got me this time/I am yours, but/you'll always be mine/together, 'til the end of time." I'm not totally sure what aspect is fine. I think my best guess is that, yeah we have our demons, we all have our skeletons in the closet and regrets. But it's fine. You have your demons, and they have you, until the end of time. It's about being able to accept yourself as you are, not as you'd like to be. Which is pretty neat. Not totally sure why the slavery was necessary to throw in, but there you have it.

Making music right now seems on the one hand super difficult, and on the other might be pretty easy since not much else is happening. Regardless, I'm glad that artists as talented and varied as Butler are continuing to release their sounds into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment