Wednesday, October 14, 2020

This Is Beautiful: Irl Music Rehearsals

As you all know, I have been very opposed to opening up universities this fall. It's stupid and clearly a money grab. That isn't what this post is about. This is about how I signed up to play in a chamber group this fall in person and it has brought so much happiness into my life and reminded me how much I love playing again.

Let me be clear: I am still hoping the school gets shut down. I think that the reopening plan has been horrible. Having said that, the music professors have clearly done their work in making this class safe for participants. We have PPE specific to our instruments (so I have a bag that I have shoved my saxophone into to cover up the disease holes) that has been backed up by studies. Rehearsals are shortened so that the air can circulate and things like that. So yes school sucks but this class is okay.

The last time I played with musicians around me and a conductor in front of me was in March. Since then I have been playing, but it has consisted of me recording myself and sending that in for someone else to mix. I was playing in a vacuum, then shooting it out over the internet and hoping someone did something with it. 

With a conductor, making music is much more of a process. You work together to make a final project and improve as an ensemble. It still requires independent practice, but each rehearsal puts you back together to see how the whole group has changed.

Also just hearing the sound come from all around you is so powerful. It feels like you're a part of something, that you're creating something collaboratively. It's so much better than just hearing yourself or hearing yourself and a recording.

I love playing music so much. I can't believe that I went about six months without it. Even though this might be short-lived, I'm so glad that I'm able to play in person again.

No comments:

Post a Comment